Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sunday morning whining

Sorry for the lack of updates, been getting your e-mails. A lot has been happening!

Good news first: I bought a ticket, i'm off to Nairobi, Kenya for the World Social Forum and other good stuff on the 19th! I'll be gone for a week - I have high hopes, but I'm still not sure I have a place to stay. There are about 150,000 delegates from all around the world coming for the WSF, and they're all going to need beds. The good thing about activists is that they're hospitable, right?

This couldn't have come at a better time - i desperately need to get out of Kigali, and I also desperately need a plan. If anyone can come up with something resembling a "plan", please drop it in the comment box to this post. I'll take just about anything right now.

In a nutshell, here's what's up: I'm leaving my NGO. I can't state all my reasons here - this being a googleable site and all - but suffice it to say that i'm not enjoying my time/ work there.
I don't have a backup plan as of yet, i'm not even that enthusiastic about going solo on my research project and am generally sick of Kigali, if you called me I'd tell you why. Oh, the politics of it all!

And as usual, Paige has just planted a dangerous seed: she doesn't start work until end of February. She will hop on a plane and meet me somewhere in East Africa where we will backpack around Uganda/ Tanzania/ Kenya and wherever else the wind takes us. Or we could just do Yemen for 10 days. Could any offer be more tempting? No. Could I justify using Yale's money on this? ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Nirvana Cable said...

I'm also attending the Social Forum in Nairobi. I'd love to meet you. Contact me: nirvanacable@mac.com

3:36 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Aaaah... the World Social Forum, the perfect mix of Marxism and Aromatherapy.

Don't get food poisoned by eating fermented goat cheese brought to Kenya by Hyppies (from Goa).

Good luck !

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home