Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Good times at the Village

Yesterday (was a beautiful day), I went back to the Village (get with the lingo) for their anniversary celebrations. Again, more than 300 of the women were there and there was much merriment. This time, they fed us cassava and beans - which stays like a brick in your stomach - and Rwandan meatballs. The women had a great time watching me drink "Itchigage" - a sorghum-based wine/ beer which they made themselves. It was actually strong, and I had to say "enough" many times - a couple of rounds later, they understood... (Maybe i wasn't being assertive enough?).


There were more perofrmances: Some moralizing, educational plays with messages you couldn't miss, even in a foreign language ("Don't go home with the man who picks you up in the street, even if he offers you cell-phones"). And of course, more traditional dance, which i've asked the pharmacist downstairs to teach me. All were put on by the kids at the village:


There was also a bit of ceremony - the women from the village were thanking RWN - and since i was sitting at the table of honor with the office, I was formally introduced to the crowd along with the rest of the staff . I don' t know what exactly Peter was saying, but it was a fairly long introduction in which I heard the words "Palestine" and "Israel", with plenty of gesticulation, the mock drawing of a "chart" in the air depicting divisions, perhaps even occupation? The women were all looking at me, nodding, and giving their approving, soft "eeeeeehs."



Right. Well, my work here is done.

Cheers ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home