Thursday, December 28, 2006

Herzl was right on

(More on the title and my time at the village later)

But a quick note from "backpackers" - a backpacker's lodge that the Lonely Planet steered me towards as I realized i would be stranded in Kampala :

Creed, the Flaming Lips and some heavy metal are on repeat at the reception/bar of this rather sketchy place, and a bunch of white hippies who just bought some tam-tams in Uganda (all made in Kenya, of course, but what do they care?) are attempting to acquire Rhythm, too. It's loud, obnoxious, and quite off.

This is my first run in with an all-white place since i've arrived in Africa and i'm realizing that 90% of travellers (American, European, Aussie, and Israeli) are not looking to interact with Africans, at all. Only their crafts and their natural resources. They arrive on these big truck-like buses that look like something developed by the Israeli army but only colored in brighter, safari colors. They spend 5 months travelling around, doing about 5 days in a country.

When my friend's friend - who is Ugandan - came to meet me here, we actually got *stared at*.

time's up. I'll be in KGL on saturday night inshallah, check in again on sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home