Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Big day at the office.

They just slapped a Rwandan dress on me, it's enormous and i look like a barrel. But we're all wearing matching ones today for the Village's celebration - which we've spent the past few weeks working hard organizing.
I will of course post pictures of this for your entertainment as soon as I get them - but note that i'm not too fond of the Rwandan dress (worn mostly on occasions, day to day is more of the colorful cotton dresses that you find across Africa, and I do like those).
The reason is mostly because of its genesis which is inseperable from colonialism's "civilizing mission": it consists of a large, loose and rather curtain-like wrap-around skirt and a matching fabric tied over one shoulder, toga-style. The reason? When the first missionaries arrived and found everybody running around naked or topless, they tied enormous sheets on them. This then evolved into the "national dress" as the sheet was substituted for more colorful fabrics, mostly imported from India.

Well. you be the judges, I promise pictures by tomorrow morning (my time)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home