Friday, December 15, 2006

Ode to Japan

I learned that the Japanese have earmarked millions of dollars to pave the main road in Kicukiro, which leads up to my office.
Today on my way back from town I also boarded a nice, spacious, and clean bus. For the same price and running along the same route as the regular buses, this one didn't cram us in like sardines, actually allowed me to sit both my butt cheeks down and didn’t require me to squash my face against the window or put my arms around the people on either side of me.

This bus was also a gift from the people of Japan.

At this time I should note that in Palestine the Japanese also pave our roads (while the French provide us with traffic lights), and build enormous concert halls.

So here is my round of applause to Japan for knowing the true meaning of Freedom.

A Haiku:

Thank you for Sushi
You fight terror of pot-holes
Make life less dusty

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

another Haïku :

In those remote regions
an Umuzungu girl fights
against hunger, rape and lions

3:21 PM  
Blogger N A said...

Diala, who knew you were such a funny writer?

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the haiku
Susan

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in jordan the japanese built the language center at the university, and the school building in beq3a. actually useful concrete things that remain!! (contrast to all the posters in ramallah about democracy from USAID)

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home