Friday, May 11, 2007

Back in land of Fairuz, although Pink Floyd and Greek dance music are being simultaneously blasted from various apartments next door.

preliminary observations of a culture-shocked Arab:

1) I forgot that warm water can come out of a tap/ shower.
2) real mattresses!
3) Beirut is orange, I guess it's khamseen season (khamseen in English? sandstorm?)
4) I think Nancy Ajram has had yet another cheek enhancement, judging from the coke ads in the airport which I had time to study as the Lebanese security forces questioned me: "But you're born in Israel?" "No, Palestine." "I'm sorry sister, this really won't take much time, we just have to register you because of your birthplace. You know how it is. By the way, are you seeing someone?" Leave it to the Lebanese to not lose an opportunity.

Kigali goodbyes were hard, I had a nice goodbye party and then a long, long afterparty, which pretty much lasted until I got dropped off at the airport. Thanks to all my Kigali people for being so awesome.

Now in Beirut, crashing in Paige and Rasha's former apartment, where Yusuf still occupies the couch, like I've never left. He greeted me with 6 different kinds of Labneh, whic I've been sampling all morning/day. Haven't left the apartment yet, too much recovering to do, too much e-mailing to catch up on.

RIP my diary, which i left at an internet cafe somewhere in Kigali. Besides being thoroughly embarassed by the knowledge that someone has probably read it, i am also in mourning. If you know me you know I have a terrible memory. I had been keeping this diary for almost two years now and was just going to put it to rest for a new one once i got back to Palestine. I started it in the first place because everything i ever wrote on my computer kept getting erased/ crashing, it's like there's a conspiracy against me or something. This blog is probably going to get erased too. That's two years of all sorts of shit I won't remember. ARGH.

RIP my computer adaptor, blew in Kigali and is now leaving me laptopless as I go on to Beirut, Paris, Berlin and Rome. If youre in Kigali, don't use Renee the computer guy. He lies, he cheats.

RIP my Made in Hebron 10 dollar flip flops that have travelled half-way around the world for me and endured all sorts of American, African and Middle Eastern terrains and night clubs. They broke during my last week in Kigali, where I laid them to rest after wearing them nearly every day. Seriously, I put them to the ultimate test and they surpassed all expectations. Photo illustrations as soon as I figure out how to use a Mac.

1 Comments:

Blogger Saned! said...

Interesting read. 7aram the diary. At least you know that a very few can read English, it wont be that bad.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home