Thursday, March 08, 2007

International Women's Day

The flags are up, offices are closed and people are out in the streets singing and dancing as they head to the stadium by my house - all decked out in traditional outfits. As I walked over to the internet cafe I was greeted with a "bonne fete" from the pharmacists, the Western Union guards and a street kid. I'm not sure i've ever seen such mobilization for annual celebrations of... womanhood.

I, too, celebrated. I had the day off work, stayed home. Put down the genocide books and blasted a combination of the Rolling Stones, Aretha and Faris Karam.
Speaking of behavior that's best contained to the privacy of one's own home - Here is a photo of the women's contingent doing the women's march at the world social forum in Nairobi, blasting and dancing to "I Will Survive". This pretty much sums up my beef with much of feminist activism:



R.E.S.P.E.C.T!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home